If you have a dyspraxia child the Educational Psychologist can perform a number of tests with your child to establish what learning difficulties there might be and what support they will need. The biggest problem is that there might be a long waiting list to actually get your child assessed. When I needed to get my son assessed the school only had access to an Ed Psych twice per year and they could only see 2-3 children each time – not great is it? I'm sure this is not the situation everywhere but just once again to point out you might need to be a little pushy to get what you need.

At the time we actually paid an Ed Psych who had recently left the LEA to do a private assessment for us. It told us what we needed to know but then when we took that to the school the head (who was a pain anyway) did not want to know and insured we would have to wait for the LEA Ed Psych to assess him; and guess what ….. 6 months later when he was estimated they report was almost identical! Again I'm sure some school heads and much more amenable and helpful than others.

Schools have to plan and support available for SEN children. In our area, and I would hope nationally, they have school action and school action plus. Depending on which category your child falls into they should get varying amounts of extra support in school.

What is School Action? This means the class teacher or school's SENCO, another teacher or a Learning Support Assistant (LSA) will give your child extra help. Your child will also have an Individual Education Plan (IEP) which lists targets for them to work towards and the action / support necessary to help them achieve them. The school SENCO, or another teacher, should talk with you about the IEP so that you can also help your child.

The aim of school action is to enable your child to progress so that they no longer need any extra help at all.

What is School Action Plus? If your child is not meeting their goals at school action, they may need to move to school action plus. This means more help from the school, together with additional advice and guidance from specialist services. This could include the involvement of teaching support services and other agencies. Most children need school action plus support will have their needs discussed by the school SENCO and an Educational Psychologist (EP).

The aim of school action plus support is to enable your dyspraxia child to progress so that they move from school action plus to school action, or no longer need any extra help at all.

There is also the possibility of obtaining a Statement of Special Educational Needs through the Local Education Authority (LEA). A Statement of Special Educational Needs is a legal document which sets out a description of your child's needs (what he or she can and can not do) and what needs to be done to meet those needs. Typically, only a very small number of children with especially complex and large needs – which require very high levels of support, are issued with a statement.

Be Your Child's Biggest Supporter

You're a stronger advocate for your child when you foster good partnerships with everyone involved in your child's treatment – that includes teachers, doctors, therapists, and even other family members. Take advantage of all the support and education that's available, and you'll be able to help your child navigate his or her way to success. However it's really important that you are strong and do not give up; sometimes you will have to fight your corner on behalf of your child who can not do it for themselves.